Almost all customers of USPS have heard about its certified and registered mail. Both these services are esteemed service of USPS. That is the reason why it is seen that both the services are highly used by the customers of USPS all over the world. But it is mostly observed that the customers of USPS always remain in a confused state of mind about which one to choose and which one will be the best for them. Hence in this article, we have come up with registered mail vs. certified mail.
What Is The Difference Between Certified And Registered Mail?
Before you avail of any of the services, it is very important to know the difference between certified and registered mail so that you can understand which one will be the best for you. So let’s describe both these services one by one for providing more clarity.
Certified mail :
Certified mail is usually used by USPS customers when it becomes necessary to send the crucial, legal, and confidential documents. Generally when a customer wants to send his shipment safely and in return also wants to get the confirmation of his delivery then certified mail is the best option. Certified mail is more essential for those customers who regularly send and receive important legal documents. When shipping through certified mail the USPS carrier ensures that they perform their function most safely and securely. Thus with this service USPS can provide security that all the important and confidential documents of the customers will be handled very carefully and it will reach the destination safely. Actually what happens is that when a customer sends the certified mail and when it reaches the destination USPS provides the electronic verification of the mail.
When it comes to the delivery time it is mostly seen that certified mail generally takes 3 to 10 working days to deliver. However, it is true that it takes 3 to 10 days only when the mail is sent through the first-class mail delivery. In case the customer sends the certified mail by using priority delivery service then it is guaranteed that mail will be delivered to its destination within 2 to 3 working days.
Registered mail :
Registered mail is that kind of service with the help of which add-on protection is provided to the important letters and parcels of the customers. Generally when a customer thinks that his package is quite critical and it is important to have additional security then only the customer goes for US registered mail service. Registered mail is suitable for the customer when they need an end to end safety of their package as the shipment of registered mail can be done in a locked container. The best thing about registered mail is that it preserves registered mail custody records which are never provided to the customer unless a file is claimed.
Actually whenever a customer sends a registered mail the USPS carrier creates a secure chain of custody. With the help of this chain, it becomes possible to track the package and provide safety at all the points of the transit. When you hand over the package to the USPS it generally passes through a long process of transit starting from the time you have dropped your package at the post office till the time it reaches its destination.
As far as the delivery time is concerned it is seen that registered mail takes a little longer period as compared to other USPS services since the USPS carrier has to provide full protection at all the transits. USPS generally takes 10 to 14 days to deliver the package to the recipient.
When analyzing the difference between these two services the following points can be summarized:
- In the case of registered mail sealed the container, safes, cages, lock, and key are used for protecting the shipment whereas no such level of protection is provided in certified mail. In certified mail proof of delivery is only provided.
- In the certified mail mailing receipt, tracking number, as well as proof of receipt, is provided but in the case of registered mail, you will require an additional amount of money for availing of these services.
- Certified mail is generally sent as regular mail whereas in the case of registered mail it is sent separately.
- The cost of certified mail is less as compared to that of registered mail.
- Registered mail is mostly used when it is required to send more valuable and confidential documents as compared to certified mail.
- In registered mail, insurance is included by default but in certified mail, if you want to avail of the insurance facility you have to give an extra amount of money.
- Registered mail is only sent from the post office whereas it is mostly seen that the certified mail can be sent from the post office as well as from anywhere in the world.
Conclusion: Certified and Registered mail is one of the best services given by USPS. We hope you have understood the all differences given here between certified mail and registered mail. For more info, you may comment on this blog.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
Q.1. Which Is Better Certified Or Registered Mail?
Certified mail delivers in the same timeframe as First-Class Mail or Priority Mail but registered mail travels slow. In case, if you need not a fast delivery and want the safest delivery then you should go for the registered mail.
Q.2. Which Is Cheaper Certified Mail Or Registered Mail?
Certified Mail is cheaper than Registered Mail because certified mail can be sent with regular mail but registered mail is sent separately.