United States Postal Service (USPS) is one of the biggest postal delivery service providers in the world and as such millions of customers use this postal service when they need to send any packages to their recipients. Many times it is seen customer change their residence and move to new places. During such a condition, it is not enough to let your friends, colleagues, relatives, and other known persons about the news of your move to a new address. But it is equally important to inform USPS about the change of address. It is usually seen that USPS carriers deliver the mail or packages at the doorstep of their customers. Hence, whenever you change your address or residence it is important that you immediately intimate the nearest branch of USPS about the change of address. Once USPS change address the carrier of USPS will be able to deliver your package at the correct address. Otherwise what will happen is that USPS carrier will deliver your packages at your old residence address and you will miss all your mail and packages. But once you intimate USPS about your new address and USPS will take a note of your new address they will send all your mail and package to the new and correct address.
USPS Change Of Address :
In the US, whenever you purchase a new residence or move to a new location it becomes very essential to change the record of your residence address in your nearest post office. While you will go for US Post Office change of address you have to remember that you have to change all your detail such as your name, address, contact information, etc. With the help of these data USPS will able to deliver their mail or package at the right place. But if you shift to your new address without changing the USPS data then it is obvious that the USPS carrier will not have any idea about your new address and in such case, they will keep on delivering your package to that old address which is recorded with them. Hence you will miss all your critical mail and packages. Thus it is always advisable that whenever you make the decision of changing your address or move to a new place the first thing that you need to do is to communicate the news with USPS that you have moved to a new place and request them to replace the record of the old address with the new one. The process of changing the address in USPS is not very critical or cumbersome rather it is very easy and simple. Hence, you can easily change your address without taking too much of your time. So, you should not make any delay in changing the address in the record of USPS.
USPS Mail Forwarding :
When it comes to change of address it is mostly seen that people get confused with the USPS mail forward method. But you must remember that USPS forward mail and changes of address are totally a different concept and are two different things. By USPS mail forwarding service we mean the service when the customer wants to forward or resend the mail that they have received to a different address or their new residential address. Sometimes what happens is that the customers somehow come to know that his mail or package has already moved to a different location or old address. Under such circumstances, it is obvious that the customer will want to have his mail or package in his new address. During such a condition, USPS forwarding mail has to be used. With the help of the USPS forwarding mail facility, customer can also request USPS to deliver a piece of mail or package to some another person’s address. But you should remember that USPS forwarding mail is not a complete solution and it has a lot of restrictions as well. So instead of going for USPS forward mail facility after your mail has delivered of wrong address, it is always better to change the entire data of your new address in the USPS record permanently so that you can make sure that all your mails and package are delivered to correct address. This is the difference between the USPS forwarding and USPS change of address.
How To Change The USPS Address?
It is very essential for the customer to know how to change their address in the USPS record. Actually, the process of changing the address in the USPS is very simple and easy and there are four easy methods with the help of which you can change your address at any time. In this article we have up with all the four methods by which you can change your address in the USPS record and these are given as follows:
- Change address online: Changing the residential or office address online is certainly the most preferred method as compared to the other available option. This method is convenient for most of the people as they neither have to visit the USPS office nor have to make a phone call to the customer care of USPS. They can change their address at any point in time and also sitting at the comfort of their home or office. In order to change the address online the customer has to follow all the steps that are mentioned below:
- Step 1: Opening the official website of USPS
The first thing that you need to do for changing the address online is to open the official website of USPS. For that type www.usps.com in the URL and press the enter key. Then the official website of USPS will appear.
- Step 2: Go to ‘Change of Address’ menu:
Once the official website of USPS is opened you should go the menu ‘Track & Manage’ and click on the option ‘Change of Address’. Then you will be directed to another webpage.
- Step 3: Click on the continue button:
Then USPS change of Address webpage will appear that will have some additional information which is related to the change of address and the privacy act statement. It is very important to read all the instructions that are given in the change of address and the privacy act statement. After you read the change of address and the privacy act statement carefully you should click on the continue button to move to the next page.
- Step 4: Fill the Move info part:
Online USPS address is separated into five parts and the first part is ‘Move info’. In this part, you will be asked one question – “Is this move permanent or temporary?” There will be two options – Permanent and Temporary.
Out of these two options select the Permanent one when are sure that you will not be using your old address anymore in the future. The customer generally chooses this option when they change their address on a permanent basis. But you should choose the temporary option when there will be a condition that you may return to the old address within 2 to 6 months. In case you do not return to your old address within 6 months you can also extend the time limit for a maximum of 12 months.
After choosing the address option you also have to select the start date of the mail forwarding so that USPS can understand when they will start sending the package or mail to that new address.
Once you have selected the date you will also be asked about “What time of move is this?” There will be three options under these sections from which you have to select any one option. These three options are:
- Individual: You should choose this option when only one member of the family will shift to the new address.
- Family: You should choose this option when the entire family will shift to the new address. While selecting this option make sure that all the members of the family have the same last name. In case any member of the family has a different last name then you have to submit a separate form.
- Business: This is the third option and you should select it when you need to change the address of your business. But remember while selecting this option you can neither select Individual or Family option because while you will select the business option you have provided a new delivery address for your business. Under such circumstances, if you select any other option your form will get rejected and USPS will not process the address change form anymore in the future.
After choosing the appropriate option you should click on the Continue button.
- Step 5: Fill out the Address part:
The second part of the USPS moving form is the address part and in this part of the form, you have to provide all necessary details such as your name, email address, contact number, old address as well as a new address. This is a very important part and you need to make sure that there are no typographical mistakes in the entry form. After you have completed with the address part click on the Continue button
- Step 6: Identity check and instant saving part:
In Identity check and Instant Saving part of USPS moving form, you have to verify your identity. You can use both credit or debit card for verifying this option. All that you need to do is to shell out $ 1 from your pocket for verifying your identity and once you have done it you should click on the Continue button. You can also have access to $ 750 in the form of a valuable coupon in the Instant Saving part of this form. You can take this deal and then click on the continue button to move to the next step.
- Step 7: Confirm the Order:
This is the last step and in this step, you have to confirm your order. But before you confirm your order you must go through all the details that you have filled in the previous steps and make sure that there are no mistakes.
- Change address by visiting the nearest post office: People who are not comfortable with the online process need to go to the nearest post office. You should ask for Form 3575. Just like the online form, there will be three options such as Individual, Family, and Business. You have to choose any one option out of the three and fill the form in a similar way as to mention in the above online process. Remember to fill up the form with the correct name, address, contact number, old and new mailing address. After filling out the entire form correctly you should hand it over to the Post Office clerk or can drop the form in the mailbox.
- Change address through Phone number: Changing address through phone number is another convenient method. What you have to do is that you have to call at 1-800-275-8777. After that, you should request the post office to send you Form 3575. Once you receive the form you have to fill it up and drop it in the mailbox of your nearest post office. But you have to pay a charge of $ 1.05 if you avail of this service.
- Change address through USPS App: This is another preferred method by which the customer can change their address with the help of the USPS mobile app. USPS mobile app is compatible with both iOS as well as Android mobile. The Android user can easily download it using PlayStore whereas the iOS mobile user can download it from AppStore. The process of change of address is exactly the same as that of the online process. Apart from the change of address, you can also do a lot of things with this app such as scheduling a pickup, online shipping, tracking the package, buying the stamps, etc. Hence, it is always recommended to download the app today and enjoy its features.
Conclusion: Several ways of edit or change of address have been discussed already in this post. You can change the address via App, post office, on-call, and online at USPS official website. You can choose the one way that suits you best.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
Q.1. How Long Does It Take For A New Address To Be Recognized?
It would take about 2 weeks as long as your credit data is involved.
Q.2. Why Doesn’t USPS Recognize My Address?
If your address contains any incorrect data, it will not match to the corresponding address present in the database and hence it will be validated. If a new address or unregistered address has ever serviced by the post office then it will not be validated as well.
Q.3. How Long Will USPS Forward Mail?
If you want your package to get delivered to your new address by forwarding USPS mail service then it may take 15 days to a year. So, it’s better to change the entire data of your new address in order to get all the deliveries at your new residence.
Q.4. Can You Forward USPS Mail For Free?
Yes, USPS will forward your First-Class mail for free through a standard change of address form. In case, if you fill out the form online then you will be charged by $1.05 as an identification process fee.
Q.5. What Mail Can’t Be Forwarded?
Books, catalogs, and advertising mail which are considered as Standard Mail A can’t be forwarded unless requested by the mailer.
Q.6. Does All Mail Get Forwarded When You Change Your Address?
The majority of your mail including First-Class Mail, Priority Mail, and First-Class package service will be forwarded for 12 months. It will give you a chance to update your address with friends and family within a year.
Q.7. What Happens When Mail Forwarding Ends?
Once your mail forwarding ends, the package would return to the sender or the delivery would be resumed at your old address before the mail was forwarded.