USPS wavier of signature is actually a kind of request that is basically initiated by the sender. In many cases, it may happen that the recipient or any of its agents may not be able to put the signature for the purpose of Proof of Delivery (POD). But it does not mean that the letter or the package goes into the wrong hand. Sometimes when the recipient does not remain at home the carrier may leave the mail or package in a safe place. If it becomes mandatory for the carrier to collect the signature of the recipient then either the carrier has to wait for the recipient or the recipient have to stay at home when the carrier will arrive to deliver the package. But it always does not become possible to do so and hence Proof of Delivery (POD) is not always possible. With USPS wavier of signature, the USPS carrier is actually authorized to send the package of the customer to their actual destination even without getting the recipient or his agent’s signature.
USPS waiver of signature is not applicable to all categories of the mail that USPS provides. USPS waiver of signature is applicable in USPS Priority Express Mail Service. Generally, it is seen that when delivering USPS Priority Express Mail service the USPS carrier used to collect the signature of the recipient as proof that the package has been delivered. USPS then sends the signature of the recipient to the sender of the package through electronic means so that the sender can understand that his packages are delivered. But since this process can take a lot of time and is very cumbersome the sender may decide to go for a USPS waiver of signature. If the sender avails the USPS waiver of a signature then after delivering the express mail to the recipient the carrier needs to sign a form called PS Form 3849 instead of seeking the signature from the recipient. When the sender avails the option for USPS waiver of signature the carrier can deliver the package or mail in the mail receptacle or other safe places where the package or mail will remain protected. Thus, instead of giving importance in collecting the signature of the recipient the USPS waiver of signature allows the carries to deliver the package in a quick interval.
Some essential things you need to know about USPS wavier of signature :
The following are a few important things that you must know while availing USPS waiver of signature:
- If a sender wishes to avail of the facility if the USPS waiver of signature they must request for it when they come to the post office for shipping their mail. Once the sender request for USPS waiver of signature USPS will not amend it when the package will be in transit.
- In case no one claims the mail or package within five days then USPS will be bound to send the package back to the sender.
- USPS waiver of signature is not available with additional insurance for Priority Mail Express Collect on Delivery (COD) Restricted Delivery or Priority Mail Express COD.
- If the package is lost in transit any claim of the insurance will be canceled.
- While availing USPS waiver of signature the carrier will give the Return Receipt for the merchandise and will leave the mail or package in the mail receptacle or any safe place.
- While availing USPS waiver of signature the delivery person can sign in the domestic Priority Mail Express service as Proof of Delivery (POD) and will leave the item in mail receptacle or any safe place.
- While the edition of the USPS waiver of signature is availed for the mail class – Priority Mail Express Label 11-B or Label 11-F without obtaining the Proof of Delivery (POD) or the signature of the recipient. The customer of USPS will use the Priority Mail Express item and ask the USPS for sending the Priority Mail Express 1 Day Delivery or Priority Mail Express 2 Day Delivery by checking as well as signing the ‘Wavier of Signature’ on Label 11-B or Label 11-F or signifying waver of signature request on the single-ply commercial label.